Saturday, September 17, 2016

Guns

I just had an epiphany of sorts; I've never really understood why people, especially men, felt the desire for a firearm. I hunted at one time and so had several rifles and a couple pistols, but since I gave up hunting I just didn't see the need. While I still don't feel the need to carry a weapon, I think I understand.
Carrying a firearm may give some a certain amount of control in their lives. So much seems beyond even our barest influence that a pistol may say, "At least I can control this. At least I can protect myself and my family."
Today, a thought crossed my mind that I too might like even the illusion of control a firearm gives; the thing is, I don't believe I could shoot someone in order to protect myself. I guess, deep down, I care more about others than I do myself; I just don't believe I could live with the guilt of taking another's life to save my own.
If I had any family to protect I might see things differently, but that time has passed for me. Today, I have only myself to look out for and if the Good Lord wants to call me home, I'm at His disposal.
So, those of you with guns, I understand. I do believe the control you feel it grants is just an illusion, but if the illusion makes you feel better why should I care.
That really is the essence of liberty; as long as it doesn't affect anybody else you should be able to do whatever you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment