Sunday, July 10, 2016

The Race Deck

I’ve tried to remember who first played the ‘Race Card’. Thinking back it seems to me I first heard about this card during the Simpson trial, but I can’t be sure. I’ve wondered: is it a face card or a number card? What suit is it? In Blackjack, what is its value?

After the events of this past week I’ve come to believe it is in fact a ‘Race Deck’.

Reading the countless articles about these tragic events making the rounds I couldn’t help but notice that just about everyone was identified by name and race. Nobody was listed as tall or short; there were no thin or ‘not-thin’ people; they were not Protestant or Catholic or Muslim; they were not Democrats or Republicans; they were not rich or poor; they were individuals, part of a group they have no control over. Isn’t this the very definition of racism?


A belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.


So every news outlet is inherently racist because, other than name, they are stating that race is the primary difference between people.

No comments:

Post a Comment